Checklist for Host Parishes of Evensong sung by MagnificatBoston
Thank you for inviting us to sing Choral Evensong in your parish. We look forward to sharing worship with you and your congregation in the near future.
Below is a general list of items to bear in mind as we prepare for our visit. Please contact Mark Engelhardt with any questions or suggestions.
1. Files of the following documents will be sent:
2. We try to get announcements of our services in the Diocesan Calendar, but publicity for the service is the responsibility of the host parish.
3. There will be approximately 20 singers for the service. Our preservice rehearsal is scheduled for 2:30 pm for a 4:00 pm service, but we generally begin arriving by 2:15. The organist and director will probably arrive between 1:45 and 2:00 to see the space and practice the organ. We ask that someone be there to meet us and that lights and access to the organ be made available by then. It is also helpful that a dressing room and restrooms be pointed out to us when we arrive.
4. We ask that you provide personnel such as lector(s), ushers, acolytes, etc.
5. Our Chaplain, the Reverend Deborah Phillips, Rector of Grace Church, Salem serves as the Officiant for the sung portions of the service, unless other arrangements have been made beforehand. We invite clergy of the parish to participate as Officiant for all the spoken parts of the service; i.e. Opening Sentences, Confession of Sin, The General Thanksgiving through the Grace at the end of the service. Please make sure you give any names and roles you would like included in the leaflet to Mark Engelhardt NO LATER than Wednesday morning preceding the Sunday of the service.
6. We ask that there be an offering taken at the service, and that at least a portion of it be given to us for the support of MagnificatBoston. Many parishes also designate a portion of the offering to a ministry of the parish. Checks should be made payable to “MagnificatBoston” and may be given to the Treasurer on that day or mailed to “Magnificat Boston” c/o Grace Church, 385 Essex Street, Salem, MA 01970.
7. Many hosts have chosen to offer a reception following the service, which we, of course, enjoy, but this is not required.
8. Digital photos of the choir in rehearsal are welcome. Please ask permission before hand before taking flash photos during the service. Also, we would love to add to our photo album, so we would like to receive photo files suitable for our website.
9. Within a few weeks after our visit, we would like for the Rector or other designated person to provide us with brief comments about the service that we can use in our publicity. These should be sent to Mark Engelhardt.
Grace Episcopal Church, 385 Essex Street, Salem, MA 01970; 978-744-2796
Magnificat Website: http://www.magnificatboston.org